Skip to main content

About this Show

Book TV

Greg Gutfeld Education. (2012) 'The Joy of Hate How to Triumph Over Whiners in the Age of Phony Outrage.'

NETWORK

DURATION
01:00:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Channel 91 (627 MHz)

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
704

PIXEL HEIGHT
480

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Ronald Reagan 11, Us 8, America 6, Greg 6, Unicorn 5, California 4, Washington 3, Booker T. 3, Barack Obama 2, Jayne Mansfield 2, Bob 2, Charles Manson 2, Booker T. Washington 2, Theodore Roosevelt 2, Wormer 2, Afghanistan 1, Knoxville 1, Russia 1, Lastly 1, France 1,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  CSPAN    Book TV    Greg Gutfeld  Education.  (2012) 'The Joy of Hate How  
   to Triumph Over Whiners in the Age of Phony Outrage.'  

    January 6, 2013
    3:00 - 4:00pm EST  

3:00pm
gentlemen, we appreciate your being on booktv. thank you for joining us as well. >> next on booktv, greg gutfed, cohost of fox news' "the five," argues that liberals use manufactured outrage and artificial tolerance to deflect criticism of their ideologies. the author contends what he deems smart intolerance should be used to counter liberal arguments. it's about an hour. ..
3:01pm
i met so many nice people and i was thinking, what would it be like if all of your fans were jerks? wouldn't that tell you something, if all of your fans are actual -- i can't swear to them in the reagan library, but if they were jerks unwhat if you were bill mahr. so, i'm signing books here, and a young man gives me a tiny unicorn. you can see that, right? it's the smallest unicorn if a ever seen but it's a unicorn, and that's all that matters. you think sean hannity gets unicorns? no, doesn't have time. bill o'reilly? maybe if we was doing a book called "killing unicorns." i get the unicorn. they don't. by the way, how many people are
3:02pm
fans or "red eye." [cheers] >> all right. this whole unicorn thing got out of hand. the reason why i was talking about unicorns in the beginning of the show was i thought it would be odd and weird if a middle aged man would obsess with something a teenage girl would be, and i thought as a conservative, libertarian, it would be interesting to create like false narratives about you that would kind of throw off the left. if you assign certain kinds of behaviors to yourself, they don't know what to make of you. i learned this when i was at the huffington post, that i created this whole falls story behind me, that i lived with a flight instructor named scott. and he was never home. and there would always be some kind of weird stench in the basement, and i wrote this stuff because the left wasn't used to dealing with somebody who was
3:03pm
messing with them. in the world of left and right, the right was always what i would call the dean wormer, from animal house. they delighted in that. my goal in life is to switch that, and i don't need any help because the left is the dean wormer. the person that is trying to sap fun out of your life and uses tolerance in order to outlaw any decent behavior that you might have. i talked about -- made the joke about being thrown out of a library. i made that joke because it's a good example of what the book is about. we did a story in "red eye --" i can't remember where but doesn't matter, i'm probably making it up. there was a story about how they were having problems with homeless people alonging at
3:04pm
pornography in libraries, and a solution in the 1950s would have been easy. we don't have the internet so doesn't exist. that a terrible joke. it's common sense in the 50s, and 60s, would have been you throw the person out. that not how it works these days. in the age of tolerance, you have to tolerator your child has to tolerate a person who is using the internet in the library to look at pornography. so their solution was to create screen guards. that was their solution. rather than just doing the right thing. which is get out, you pervert! >> believe me, i've heard that many times. [laughter] >> and it works. it got me out of johns -- stossl res paramount.
3:05pm
then he asked me to come back in and we played cards. the big point in the book is everythings sincible becomes mean and everything bad becomes justified under the rubric of tolerance. so, the jokes about taking your pants off in the library is now tolerable, saying, i don't want that happening is narrow-minded. that's where we are today. a world where basic common sense is considered wrong or outmoded or irrelevant, bad, blah blah blah. i want to talk about the fact i'm here at the reagan library, which is amazing. of all the presidents i have met, he is my favorite. applause [applause] >> the is the only president i've met. but i want to tell you about how that happen, because i don't know many people that have met him, and i was lucky to meet him. in 1987-88 i worked for a
3:06pm
magazine called the american spectator. and it was run by job sales. my job consist of going to the drug store and picking up things. i won't go into it any further. but i was paid on average -- my takehome pay was $360 for two weeks, and i lived with two elderly ladies in allergy top, -- arlington, virginia. and when people complain about having nothing, i say, try to live with two older ladies and then invite their older sister to live with them. ronald reagan twice a year goes to people's houses to have dinner. went to my's' house, and -- went to my boss' house, and i'm mowing the lawn and washing the
3:07pm
windows, and i'm hoping over time i'm doing all this stuff that sooner or later he will say, greg, you can stick around and meet the president. sooner or late ex-after days and days of preparation, that's what happened. he said, you can meet him. the high point -- a couple high point inside meeting ronald reagan. one is when the bomb sniffer dog came in and urinated on my boss' brief case. to this day, he thinks it's me. and it might have been. the great thing about dogs, they don't live long enough to tell stories. move the unicorn over here. the dinner -- i often tell people i shared an intimate dinner will ronald reagan. and it is true. because after the dinner was over, i actually took his dinner and i went into the kitchen and i ate it, and i'm not kidding.
3:08pm
so, technically, i shared an intimate chicken dinner with ronald reagan. the embarrassing part about meeting him is how you have this amazing opportunity and you screw it up. i was in the living room in the apartment, and you're watching this insane motorcade coming up the street, and all the neighbors are outside, drinking, and this is a huge deal. even if they hate ronald reagan, which they probably did because he is the world's greatest president, blah blah, they hate him, he's no jimmy carter. they're all -- all of a sudden their star struck. i'm out there -- i'm in the living room and i'm wearing a cheap suit, stained tie, and i'm watching this motorcade come in, and i'm going, wow, must be coming in. and i turn around and he is standing right there. he was a decoy. so there's this person in a
3:09pm
reagan mask. that's what -- that's how you feel when you see somebody like that. you think, it's somebody -- sits in a reagan mask. but it was ronald reagan and he was drinking a screwdriver, and so there wasn't any really secret service people there, and i was standing there, and he was standing there, and maybe a couple people, and then a photographer. it's not like now where everybody is like this. unless they had some twists. but -- so i like did what i would normally -- i went up and said hello to him but i didn't say hello. i said, ah-ru-ha. -and he just looked at me and probably has -- it's nice they have those people come to these dinners. how compassion nat.
3:10pm
-- compassionate. i ended up in the kitchen, ate his dinner can talked to the secret service guy. liz decker played piano. remember her? don't worry. i think i have some things in kwon with ronald reagan. he was governor of california. i lived in california. he was once a democrat. i once bought a counterfeit watch in times square. same thing, everybody makes mistakes. as an actor, he starred opposed a three-foot hairy chimp named bonzo. i work with book eckels. no. no. no. that was cheap. that was cheap. the only reason why i can make that joke about bob is that he is a lovable guy. he would have -- yes.
3:11pm
are we going to make this speech about bob? because i will. i got nothing to do. i'll be here all night. bob is a great game i'm saying that because this is on c-span2 and he'll see this and why weren't your defending me. bob is a great guy. bob performs a service. [laughter] >> i should shut up. i should just quit. [laughter] >> another thing i have in common with reagan, he championed trickle-down economics. i have a weak bladder. on june 12, 1987, he cold mikhail gorbachev to, tear down this wall. i like vodka. he called russia an evil empire. every day i call dana perino an evil person. and i know you think she is
3:12pm
adorable and talks about the dog -- whoa, whoa, whoa. >> you guys actually think jasper is a dog? that's an armenian man she hired as an indentureed service, and he walks around central park, and they take pictures. disgusting. somebody has to tell the truth. that's what i'm here for. lastly, ronald reagan was a charismatic leader who influenced millions of people concerning freedom and individuality around the world, and i think that i and all of your are products of that. it's not a joke. [applause] >> i should stick to the joke thing. all of you looked at me like, what was that about? so the book is kind of -- has
3:13pm
been born from the reagan era. at it about people who pretend to be tolerant when in fact they're not at and all they use tolerance as a weapon to shut you up. who was the first real target? ronald reagan. what was he portrayed as in the media? what kept you talking about low taxes and free market was being described as being mean, cold, evil. the dad that never hugged you. that's the basis of all liberalism. he was the dad that never hugged you. he didn't hate the poor. he ate the poor. a consequence of this -- well, run runs have always had to deal with this and we don't really fight back. we assume that we are cold, and we don't know what to do about it except just tiply make the economy work while we let the liberals destroy and it then come in every few years and fix it. right now -- [applause] >> right now, common sense is viewed as intolerance.
3:14pm
the nicest thing that you can say to somebody, no matter who it is, is, get a job. the nicest thing you can say. when you're walking down the street and there's a guy pap handling and you think, get a job, you're complimenting him. you're saying you have the will and the means to get a job. but now these days, if you say that, it's seen as mean and intolerant to assume people have the power to act of their open volition. that is where we are at now. that we can't take care of ourselves and if you assume a person can't take care of themselves you're a big got. i never bought into the compassionate thing. still playing with the unicorn. the passionate consecutive conservative is redone can't. you believe in something that is better for them than giving them
3:15pm
something. calling somebody a compassionate conservative is like calling somebody a naive liberal. the biggest offenders in the world of tolerance is what i call the tolerotic. people that are going to be tolerant until they meet you. they don't realize that tolerance only works when you talk to people you disagree with. it doesn't work when you just use it amongst your friends. that didn't work that way. it's like having a party by yourself. which i am doing at the holiday inn later. they travel in packs. examples of toll reroties, protesters, activist groups and malaria. to them everything is mean. everything you do is mean. language is mean. common sense is mean. you can't call terrorism, terrorism, you call is replaced
3:16pm
violence. you call it a spontaneous mob because that might hurt somebody's feelings. we are a sensitized nation now where feelings govern thinking. wealth is considered mean. if you actually work for a living. that's mean. achievement is considered mean because somehow what you achieve was at the intense -- at the expense of somebody else. speaking about wealth -- all of these celebrities are calling for increase in taxes. i thought about it for a while and looked at their careers. a lot of them over the span of a decade got into the 20s and 30 to $40 million range salaries. and they're the ones saying, we should raise taxes on people like me. but the people like them aren't people like them. they're people in their 60s who worked 35 years. getting to a $2 million job. but if you say this, you sound like you're defending the rich. but actually they're throwing the rich under the bus. there's the guy in his 60s who
3:17pm
has five kids, couple of grandkids, yes, he worked for that money. you didn't. you're an actor. [applause] >> i would say, hold your applause until the end, but i kind of like it. examples of this phony tolerance and what it does is the way the media portrays the tea party and "occupy wall street." i have a couple of chop -- chapters. one was mock the tea party and one was sankty sankty identified. if that it a word. i of you look another the tea party no arrests itself you look at "occupy," thousands arrests. the proportion of weirdness and violence cannot be questioned. i always say this about the tea party. they don't throw chairs through
3:18pm
the windows because they own the chair and the window. [applause] "occupy wall street" and the tea party are a great example of ownership versus public use. you don't poop in the driveway you own, and "occupy wall street" pooped everywhere and that was the big problem. they created acres of unsanitary conditions to the point where even businessmen, who were sympathetic to them, were like, get these freaks out of here. they can't even take care of their own bodily functions and they want to change the government. if you can't pee, you're not changing anything. you stupid, stupid jerks. anyway -- [applause] >> -- the chapter on -- i focus
3:19pm
on how he media demonized the tea party, lionize wall street. i'll get into why they did it later in the third hour of the speech. other areas. boredders. everybody has a border. but if you talk about a border, you're a racist. france has a border. they don't deserve one but they have one. our military is created on campuses with intolerance. if you organize a care package delivery to afghanistan, there will be professors and student activist groups who say, where is that? why are we sending stuff to people who kill babies? i don't get it. i don't have anything beyond that those people are idiots. because they allow people like like bill lehr to teach.
3:20pm
he is a terrorishing yet they give no respect to our troops. there's a chapter in my book on that. conservative women. any women -- [cheers] >> you have the toughest job because fem -- femininists ahead you, and they got out of your way to demonize you, but you're a. stronger than they are because you're rejects government. language, things like fort hood, benghazi, completely been replaced in the language of tolerance. smoking is the last bastion of i guess intolerance for a lot of people. i get harassed all the time. they see me as a cigarette tree however when they're drunk. they say they don't smoke, spend their drunk, can i have a
3:21pm
cigarette? shut up. a lot of this is done through what i call the tyranny of the cool. cool trumps all. we live in a culture where everybody wants to be cool. it's important to be accepted by teenagers. how does this happen? the fact is, i use the phrase teenagers to describe everybody from 18 to 38. that's what we have. they're obsessed with media pop culture. people in the media will do anything to be cool. cool says traditional success is bad. it's an attack on their parents. always comes back to something about dad didn't hug me enough. i don't want to be like him. and it becomes a phony rebellion, where good and evil become relative. you see good is good and evil is evil, but cool makes vote that evil is all right. you see that in movies. you ask an actor who they'd rather play, charles manson or
3:22pm
mitt romney, they would say charles manson, because -- get a little swastika on my forehead, win an oscar, hollywood have a hard time pointing out the good in things. pop music. i remember growing up and there was always stories about rock stars trashing hotel rooms, and how cool it was, and how rebellious it was to destroy things. but somebody had to clean that up and it was always the maid, and i wonder if these rock stars, who are liberal and left wing, ever think about the little guys who have to clean up n their stupid messes or stuff they have to deal whiff when they're od'ing and getting high and breaking things. it's the ultimate hypocrisy when they're hurting the little guy they're supposed to be championing. [applause] >> there used to be a time when
3:23pm
like being a celebrity was supposed to be edgy. you were supposed to speak truth to power. now they french kiss it. jon stewart did a whole rally making fun of the tea party, as if that was supposed to be rebellous but he was speaking truth to power to people who were speaking truth to power. the tea party were the rebels and he was making fun of it. his rally was called a rally to restore sanity. they went out and did something. isn't that that it talked about, about getting involved, the media? isn't that what it's all about? not when you're not a liberal. never mind. then it's like funny. you're old. you're stupid, you're silly. we like to hang out with the "occupy wall street" people. by the way, always ask the liberal, who would you rather share a bus seat with a tea
3:24pm
partyer or an "occupy wall streeter," you know exactly what they's say. they lie. so, -- i skipped ahead there. so, cool in my opinion, is based on the david and goliath narrative. big is bad. small is good. to big things, like america, the military, business, breakfast buffets, are seen as evil and people can make fun of them. when you're in europe they would make fun of meshes. -- americans. i lived there for three years. small things, however, are seen as somewhat heroic. terror groups are seen as freedom fighters because they're small. ows, because it was a tiny faction, was seen at cool. activism is seen as the david. dana perino. the media embraces david over goliath even if david is evil. if america were a house, the
3:25pm
left would move for the termites. i used that before. it works. i'm not trying to say that the left are bad people. i'm just saying they aren't people. no. no. no. not true. i used that -- why i say that, i use that because that what they do. and it's time that we just throw it back at them. even if it's a joke. [applause] they are people. but they don't own the turf that is ridicule. so why is the cool versus the uncool thing important? it won an election. let's face it. the reason people like barack obama is he is cool. he beat a war hero, community activist, organizers beat a war hero four years ago. how does that happen? because he was cool. it was cool to vote for him. the culture embraces fake
3:26pm
coolness over real achievement. kids would rather play astronaut than be one. more interesting in being famous than being an actor and actually doing something. there is a real where big bright spot to president barack obama being re-elected. it's like tearing off of off the band-aid. if he lost, he would be back four years later and he would be 45% more grayer, which makes him more trustworthy. so we're uncool. that's the way we are. that's how we are. don't believe that. i look at our message. what is our message? we like to build things. making things is cool. what's wrong with that? we like to open stuff. that's good. competition is awesome. the liberal view, self-esteem is better. it's better to feel self-esteem without competition. that doesn't work. the highest incidence of
3:27pm
self-esteem can be found in prison. i think i made that stat up. it's one of those things, if you read and you repeat over and over again -- but i'm certain if you meet a criminal, they believe they commit crimes because they deserve to. why not? i deserve this. i don't have to work for it. i take it. our alternative to that is competition makes you a better person you win. unity over division. what we used to call patriotism is cool. we now live in a country where everybody is governed by their identity, which is not cool. we have to make it cool to say you're an american. that is an awesome place and here i whys it is exceptional. [applause] >> what is not cool is
3:28pm
dependency, which is gaining ground. a web site showed a woman's life being taken care of by the government. somehow that is okay. the idea that, you know what? don't try too hard. don't worry about it. we'll be there for you. we're the net. how did that get to be cool? government intrusion is not cool, but at it cool to them. the leftists say stay out of my bedroom. now they want to get on your plate. they whatnot to tell you what you're eating. i just bought cigarettes. they're called gold now. they have -- what is wrong with america? for them what's cool is separatism. this this worst part, born out of the self-esteem movement. it's describing yourself by not what you have done but what you are. and this is the most dangerous thing because it feeds into -- no one is happy. you cannot be happy defined by
3:29pm
your own identity because you're only happy when you're defined by your achievements. when you gut it and do go work, we're creating massive amounts of people who are proud of what they are. which makes no sense to me. having said that, i'm glad to be short. in sum, we have replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. it's why president obama went around the world. it wasn't because america was exceptional. it was because he wanted them to know we want to be liked. we want to be toll rapt. we're not so bad. that never works. people sense weakness, and we see that now with the arab spring. they didn't care. the arab nightmare. so, in closing -- which i always like to say even though though i don't know what i'm going to si -- in closing, the cool are in the driver's seat right now. and we're in the passenger seat. unfortunately the cool drive like jayne mansfield.
3:30pm
>> too soon? too soon for a jayne mansfield joke? so i have to actually look for a joke that involves a horse and buggy and you guys would be okay. it's tough for us to find a messenger because, as a conservative, we don't like government. why would we want to join something we hate? asking a conservative to run for office is like asking bill clinton to be monogamous. it's not -- it's like asking an activist to bathe. i could go through ten of them but i'll stop there however, the people that you're dealing with once every two years and once every four years, this is like they're romance novel. running for office is their row maps novel. they're into it. their cars run for office. when you see them they have bumper stickers. it's like they want us to know how they feel all the time.
3:31pm
going off topic here, i was interviewed by a knoxville papers today. one of the worst interviews ever. it was awful. the first -- she did some kind of softball question and then started asking about your -- didn't your book what -- can you give me specifics? and there was like 40 seconds of silence. and i go, know, if you can tell me what you're taking about, she says bashing liberals. i said that's not what it is about. and it was clear she hadn't read the book you can't argue with a liberal when they don't want to show up and do their damn homework. finally i kept going after her and said, why do you say these things? this is a journalist. i feel that, like, when you say these things and feel like blah blah blah and i feel -- and i'm going, okay, i think that only liberals say like. i might be wrong. but i said to her, you know,
3:32pm
it's weird. right now you keep saying how you feel as opposed to think. and don't you think that's strange when you're interviewing an author about a book and you keep saying how you feel? isn't that weird? and she didn't have an answer for me. but we're seeing each other later. [laughter] >> kind of cute. i'm kidding. it was weird. what was funny was, she asked me -- she said to me, what was -- you transitioned from magazines to tv. what do they have in common? i said, you know, the most important thing when you're a reporter or anyone, is to prepare. have a list of questions. read up on the person, perhaps read the book. anything. magazines. books. that's what you do. and i don't think she even knew that i was talking to her.
3:33pm
really good i go, this would be good advice for a journalist. anyway. so like i said, the cool are driving the car. we're in the passenger seat. the message is great. our message is always great. free market floor minds, individual freedom. people come to this country for that reason. we're just not that great at articulate it because we don't play that game often enough. we need to find a messenger who can do it and can speak it in a way that -- i don't know -- is more fun? more interesting? i don't know. got two years. so, start your engines. [applause] >> thanks. [applause]
3:34pm
>> well, greg has been kind enough to set aside a few minutes for questions -- >> no, i didn't. [laughter] >> okay, i'll be happy to take any questions -- if i could just ask there are there are people in the aisles with microphones and if you can wait for it to get to you because you're on tv. right here. >> i was just curious, do you see anybody that could possibly maybe not replace andrew but step up and continue his message? fighting back? -- not fighting back, the wrong word. but -- >> doing what andrew did. >> yeah. >> andrew was too big for this planet, and i think that -- what is interesting is i met a lot of people that work at and there's
3:35pm
seven or eight people who do what he does. so many people that were affected by brightbart. and i compared it to a big bang. all these pieces went everybody and everybody walked away with a little piece of andrew, and mckinis, who is on my show a lot, keeps doing this-what would breitbart do in this situation, and had a shirt made -- when you get in a fight with a liberal, you just -- it always works. you can't replace him but a lot of people together are, i think. >> over here. good question. [applause] >> i was just wonders, you're one of the few conservative voices who does really well at humor. and i'm wondering if you have an opinion on why that is, and if we can get better at humor and
3:36pm
that, like, speaking truth in that way? >> some of the funniest people i know are -- most of the funniest people i know are conservatives but they're just not -- they're doing other things. they're evolving business. they never -- never occurred to them to become comedians. and i think -- it's a weird thing. most of the comedians i meet when i do "red eye" aren't liberal. they don't speak their politics but they get a paycheck and don't want to get screwed, and that's the reality. that a lot of people don't like to say what they feel. and the most successful comedian always are grounded in common sense, and that's generally my opinion as a conservative value. i didn't answer your question. but we're still meeting later.
3:37pm
>> greg in the last election it seemed as though many of our candidates had a tin ear and didn't understand the constituents they were speaking to. made blunders that were exaggerated and amplified by the immediate a. nonetheless, blonders. how can be get our candidates to at least understand hip, if not be hip? >> you know what? i argue they don't necessarily have to be hip. i don't think ronald reagan was hip. people talk about ronald reagan to this day, how conservative he was, was he not conservative enough, he raised taxes. but for some reason he exemplified what was special about the american idea, and i do think that -- no one would ever describe reagan as hip but he could articulate something that nobody else could. i had a strong feeling that mitt
3:38pm
was getting there after the first debate, and when he said that line i have been doing this for 25 years and i have no idea what you're talking sunset it was like an amazing line. his mistake -- and i said this over and over again -- why did he drop libya? i don't know why. he got scared, and then i think that he had a glimpse of what he could do with the aggression and that stuff, and maybe he was too nice. i agree with you. i think when you remember back in the primary, and there was 13 people, bill the way, and i bet you can't name them all. i tried to name them before i went to wikipedia, but there were 13 candidates, not including -- that guy -- but -- 14. but you like parts of them. but you didn't like all of them. and that was the problem. i think, however, those -- i remember at the huffington post,
3:39pm
they were going crazy for barack obama. in 2004, 2005, when it started. and i was looking at him and i go, they have every reason to be excited because he is the most progressive candidate they've ever had and he is a perfect patsy. and it's like -- it's going to happen. i'm an on tim -- optimist. i think romney was almost there but blew it at the end. [inaudible] >> be a happy warrior. a lot of people get down, but you can't get down. the great thing about liberalism, they always screw up. [applause] >> like, basically, basically, when a liberal is in power, it's like when the parent goes away on vacation. and you come back and -- you
3:40pm
come into the apartment or the house and it's like you can tell there was something happening there. and you got to get somebody to come in and clean it up, and that's usually a conservative. >> back here. >> hi, greg. i just -- on behalf of everybody, thank you for coming to california and being here. >> my pleasure. [applause] >> thank you. >> i'm a "red eye" junky. we teen and it watch it every morning. want to thank you for being a voice for people like us. we're standing in line with people who are sad about the election. but gutfeld is the one voice that makes us laugh. you are the will rogers/john wayne of our generation, so thank you. i'm serious. [applause] >> i think of myself more like shania twain, but okay.
3:41pm
>> hi, greg. thank you for coming. >> my pleasure. >> both you and are not so tall but we're big in -- >> i think i'm a little taller than you are. >> everybody is a little taller than me. >> thanks for bringing it up. do you have any questions except about my height? >> die. it's not serious. i was watching "the five" the other night and i'm wonder egg you got an avalanche of e-mailsful you were talking to the group and wowanted to use the phrase fiscal cliff, and you slipped and said something else i won't say. but i just want to know if anybody else caught it besides me. >> a lot of people did. okay. if you do two shows a day, that's going to happen. and by the way, i'm not even sure what i said. but there are two versions of it. there's one that is profane and
3:42pm
then there's one that is really biological. we'll just -- i didn't -- you know what, it was such an obvious slip of the tongue -- this is the reagan library, people. make me sick here. your minds. >> so real quick, up on the balcony. >> hi. i and my young boys are big fan of yours. i have my 10 and 13-year-old watching you ever day. >> where are you? >> i'm up hire. >> oh. [applause] >> actually when i told them i was coming to see you, they wanted to come, too. they're big fans. i. >> you keep them in a closet? that's perfectly fine. you're a terrible mother. for coming here and leaving your kids alone, staying --
3:43pm
>> well, duct tape. >> duct tape works. >> believe me, they've used it for many things. >> you know that's why thigh invented it. but they can't call it kid tape. >> i have five boys -- >> congratulations. >> more duct tape than you can imagine. my question is, what can we do to start breaking this liberal grip on the term "racist"? >> you have to mock it. that is the -- by the way, you know you're getting close to the truth when somebody its calling you a racist. because it means that's their last arrow they have, and you just have to laugh at them. you have to mock them. unless-of course, you really are a racist. i want to make it clear, race isn't bad. race isn't bad. being called a racist when
3:44pm
you're not, also bad. it's also bad it can ruin your life or your career. and the left does it with or without impunity? i need to read more. what impugnty? probably not a word i should remember, then. it's gone. >> i think you have done a great job talking about the topics in your book but you avoided one topic you asked to us ask you about. >> what. >> panda the pubah. >> this is one of those things the editors of the book go, we can cut that. people who watch "red eye" know i create fantastic fantasy worlds, just because i can, and why shouldn't you? and so in the book i bring up -- actually kind of a personal story, and frankly, i'm offended
3:45pm
you would bring it up here. [laughter] >> things didn't work out between me and the panda. we write but he doesn't write back. because he is a panda. pandas can't write. i think. they might. >> hi, greg, nice meeting you. thank you for coming to l.a. i had a -- one of the few students in the uc system -- >> i do that, too. >> anyway, my question is, you actually as a north korean sympathizer, and it seems to me that there's a lot of indoctrination going on in college, and there isn't a voice for libertarians and --
3:46pm
>> he is a friend of yours? >> not anymore. >> that's the irony of the academic world in the campus, it's supposed to be the land of open minds but if you're conservative, the reality is, it's the opposite. i had no metaphor. but the -- it's because it's a self-perpetuating machine. journalists that are there teach the future fear journalists and your only future is to teach gender studies if that's the -- the only way to break that is to get into academia. other than that -- you can do it for the students and it pays all right. tenure is a problem. why are you allowed to be a crackpot on campus? because you can. you will not get fired.
3:47pm
that's tenure. >> over here. >> one question. continue to keep asking who pushed the video? >> yeah. >> you're referring to the suzann somers exercise video. that was stolen from my locker. it's the only question that matters. by the way, everything about this story is going to come back to that. it's always, who told you to do that? and why? there was no evidence there was a mob. i always go back to one thing. it was a gut response about how you feel about america and how you feel about everyone else, that maybe it is our fault and maybe we should apologize, even though there was no evidence and they laughed at us when we did that. >> over here.
3:48pm
>> yes? [inaudible] -- what did you dad do? how did you glow up and what were your parents' influence on your politics. >> my dad is serving 25 to life. [laughter] >> actually, he is the winner of the family. my dad passed away when i was 18. from cancer. that happens. move on. good guy, though. really good guy. >> right down the middle here. >> all right. i've always wondered, what happened to the liberal talking pinch on "red eye." >> you guys missed him? here's my feeling. it was actually -- i thought it was a practical decision because
3:49pm
of the fact that there were new people that were watching "the five" and they were coming into "red eye" and thinking, what if think folks are not used to "red eye" and the first thing they see is a talking newspaper. so the idea was to move the talking paper later into the show and then we just forgot about it. that's the funny thing about stuff, you forget. a lot of things i'm supposed to do but some i forgot. and one is pinch. pinch is probably in a closet somewhere dying. >> up here in the balcony. >> hi, i'm from tokyo, japan. i love you. it's better than going to a george michaels concert. [laughter] >> anyway. >> nobody goes to the george michael concert for the concert. they go for the after-concert.
3:50pm
>> can i gate back-stage pass? anyway, i am -- [laughter] >> there's about -- everytime i'm about to say something i keep going, it's the reagan library. [laughter] >> i say that holding a unicorn. >> anyway, i am a conservative working actress here in los angeles, and -- >> my con doll -- condolences, >> and it's hard to meet nice conservative men like yourself. i wondered about a dating web site? >> you know, -- >> going to be a hit. >> i like the idea you bring up fluffy mcnuter. half of the people -- who doesn't know what fluffy mcnuter is? it's a mascot it created on "red
3:51pm
eye" and this is what happens with tv. one producer said i don't understand this fluffy mcnuter thing so they took him away from me. much like my son and his half brother. they are these conservative, liberal, dating sites. >> i try hannity date and there's two guys in california. >> help me! >> you know what, i'll send you some numbers. all right? if one guy -- if one guy shows up looking like me in a disguise, and at a weird time of night, -- >> do the dishes? >> we'll never eat. [applause]
3:52pm
>> hi, greg. first of all, thank you for the holmage you gave to andrew breitbart on "red eye." it was fantastic,. [applause] >> now, we're conservative women and we idea could have a sense of humor, but every day we have this knot in our stomach and we'd like to get over it. we have heard ben shapiro say we have to good after the media, and that's fine for him. but what can we do sitting here and going home and doing -- thank you. >> well, who can stop you from mocking them wherever you want to go. look, i don't have -- i'm lucky. i can say whatever it want you can tell me what to say. basically that what people tell me. they say you have to say this to bob. sometimes i actually say it. the whole thing is to keep a good humor and know you're right. you always have to know you're right and not be shaken by
3:53pm
idiots. [applause] >> we have time for about two more questions. right here. >> i was wondering if you could tell people like myself who have no liberal within a hundred miles of them, how you can possibly influence those people? >> wait. basically the only way. it sounds arrogant but i never really felt that left and right was horizontal relationship. the old line, what is a conservative? it's a liberal who has been mugged. i don't know who said that. might have been william f. buckley, but is the truth. at a certain point life mugs you in some many different ways. weapon you have kids you're
3:54pm
mugged by your kid, mugged by tacks, and that conservative -- and a liberal -- i was saying this earlier to somebody -- a liberal can hold on to their fanciful ideas until it's their problem and then all of a sudden they're not sharing at all, and that kind of the -- that's the evolution. i do worry that we're becoming part of a society where we believe our government should be this all-caring being. i believe the government should help people in need but we're establishing the government should be helping everybody that scares me when we have to take that back and teach people that self-relines and achievement is what matters. the only thing that makes you feel good. [applause] >> time for the last question right back here. >> hello, greg. >> hi. >> just got a question. you've already started working on or have any idea for your next book?
3:55pm
>> who told you to ask this question? >> i told you to wait in the car. you never listen, do you? i don't know -- i told you not to lit him in i gave you a picture of him. you were supposed to -- yeah. i'm working on my next book. some of the stuff i talked about in here, about the cool, it's going to be what i think my book is going to be about. i think. i don't know yet. or it could be about fuzzy things. i really like fuzzy stuff. slippers, cats. do you think i'm done yet? i could keep going with fuzzy stuff. i googled it this morning. there are 86 million fuzzy things. lint. >> okay, while, he continues to think of more, can i just -- can i ask that everyone allow greg to get out this way.
3:56pm
he's going to sign the book, and so before we give him a round of applause, thank you all so much for coming. thank you. [applause] [applause] >> there is a nonfiction author or book you'd like to see featured on book tv? send us an e-mail or tweet us. >> the author of five previous books. her new book is guest of honor, booker t. washington, theodore roosevelt, and the white house dinner that shook the nation. why did this dinner drive the nation nuts? >> this dinner is a remarkable moment in history that has been completely forgotten and it's because we just don't know about scandals like this. our meter has changed.
3:57pm
when booker t. washington walked up the five steps of the white house, he was the very first african-american to be invited to sit at the president's table. it's never happened before. african-americans had been invited to meet with presidents in their offices, they had business meetings all the time, but no one ever sat at the president's table, and the nation was outraged. it was really astonishing. >> why was he invited? >> booker t. washington had a very, very successful working relationship with theodore roosevelt, and they were working together to try to fix the race problem, which was just as much with us, obviously insuring 1901 -- obviously, in 1901 as it is today. and they were partnering to try to bring like-minded people in the government and they would get together and have political conversations. one day roosevelt said to
3:58pm
himself, i would can't i invite booker t. to dinner and mix business with pleasure. it was an innocent invitation and it unleashed just an incredible outpouring of indignation from all over the world, because it had never happened before. >> was the president's schedule always public? how did people find out the dinner was happening. >> the president's schedule was always public and it was covered by some lowly journalist who probably hated this job. it was his job to report that roosevelt had lunch with so and so or a meeting with so and so, and the dinner took place in the evening, and at about midnight, the journalist looked at the president's schedule, and probably rubbed his eyes because he saw that booker t. washington had dined with the president. the news went out on the wire, and it was like a thunderclap. it was picked up by every
3:59pm
newspaper, five-inch headlines, most of them saying things that we literally cannot repeat today, about why this dinner was such an outrage. >> what was the reaction of mr. washington and of the president? >> they're -- their reactions at first were bemused. this is something that will flare up and go away. very quickly they realized that was not happening. it seemed that every single person in america had to have an opinion about whether or not the dinner was the right thing to do, and there was some very funny responses. mark twain, for example, who you might think would have been in favor of the meal, said, absolutely not. the president is just a high-class tenant at the white house, and he has no right to express his personal feelings by inviting a black man to dine there. the reactions show the